Oro-Craniomaxillofacial Research & Surgical Group (OCReS)
This research group was initiated with the aim of improving the multidisciplinary craniofacial services in both clinical and research aspects in University of Malaya. The multidisciplinary team was informally established in middle of 2011 with close collaboration between Faculty of Dentistry, Faculty of Medicine and University of Malaya Medical Center and to date, has received a total of 22 complex craniomaxillofacial deformities cases from all over the country.
These cases include isolated and syndromic craniosynostosis such as Apert and Crouzon syndromes, and orofacial congenital conditions such as hemifacial microsomia and Treacher Collins syndrome. The current multidisciplinary group involves oral and maxillofacial surgery, neurosurgery, pediatric respiratory, pediatric geneticist, anesthetist, ENT, orthopedic surgery, orthodontic and pediatric dentistry.
The availability of osteodistraction systems and laboratory facility to fabricate 3D biomodel also has allowed patients to receive optimum service in peri-surgical aspects. Nevertheless, we believe that, in addition to clinical aspects, research component is equally important to ensure that our centre is on par with other established craniofacial centers around the world.
• To establish the center as a craniofacial referral center in the country and region.
• To provide complete multidisciplinary services under one roof
• To become the leader in craniofacial research in the country
• To provide assistance to patients and guardians in relations to every aspect of craniofacial management
• To establish the center as a training platform at postgraduate level in both clinical and research aspects
Scope of oral and craniofacial deformities
• Syndromic craniosynostosiso • Crouzon syndromeo Apert syndromeo Pfeiffer syndromeo Saethe-Cotzen syndrome • Craniofrontonasal dysplasia • Hemifacial microsomia • Goldenhar syndrome • Nager syndrome • Pierre Robin Sequence • Treacher Collins syndrome • Complex facial cleft • Other complex craniofacial anomalies
Summary of current research activities:
- Combined Oral & Craniofacial Deformities Clinic
Every first Wednesday of the month at Department of Oro-Maxillofacial Surgical & Medical Sciences
- Postgraduate Craniofacial Seminars
- Craniofacial Deformities
- Distraction Osteogenesis
- Orthognathic surgery
- Combined Patient Conference
- 1 month prior to every operation
- Continuous Education Seminar on craniofacial in public hospitals
- Hospital Sultanah Aminah, Johor Bahru, Johor (Facilitator: Dr. Firdaus Hariri & Dr. Mah Be Chai)
- Hospital Serdang, Selangor (Facilitator: Dr. Firdaus Hariri & Dr. Kok Tuck Choon)
- Study visit and research meetings
Research Group Leader
Oro-Craniomaxillofacial Research & Surgical (OCReS) Group,
Dental Research Management Centre, Level 6,
Postgraduate and Research Tower,
Faculty of Dentistry, University of Malaya
50603 Kuala LumpurEmail: firstname.lastname@example.org/ email@example.com